I was about as shocked two evenings ago when I learned about the passing of R.C. Sproul as I have ever been. Sproul has been with me my entire Christian life. His works were introduced to me by Ted Ewing in the late 70’s and I have been a fan of his writing all along the way. Shortly after I became a Christian, I remember going to a conference at 10th Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, where he was a featured speaker.
After college I went into campus ministry and Dr. Sproul was often a featured speaker at training or retreats.
But it is his writing that will live on for me and I’m sure others as well. Among the books in my collection:
- The Last Days According to Jesus
- Knowing Scripture
- St. Andrew’s Expositional Commentary Series
- Essential Truths of the Christian Faith
- Pleasing God
- What is Reformed Theology?
- The Legacy of Luther
- The Truth of the Cross
- Are We Together
- Five Things Every Christian Needs to Grow
- The Critical Questions Series–27 books
- Tabletalk magazine—he’s a major contributor
- The Reformation Study Bible—again he was a major contributor
I probably have more books by him than any other author—Christian or secular—because I have such respect for him and his writing. His life was a sermon.
Ligonier Ministries will continue. The foundation is strong and others will build upon it.
While I am sadden at his passing, I know that he is having a high time in heaven!